Monday, October 22, 2007

Ak'sent, Akon

Ak'sent is a 20 year old LADY MC/rapper. I have two of her songs (This One, and Zingy [feat. Beenie Man]) and I'm not really sure how I came by either one of them. Possible source: I used to belong to this Apple/iTunes facebook group that gave you a code every week to redeem free songs from a given genre, but I stopped using it because I was just getting a lot of crap. Ak'sent...not so crappy. From what I've heard, her rhymes are often girl-power related, and her beats are hawwwwwwt. Fo realz. (Not sure if she has anything to do with their production).

Phun Phact: Not so fun, actually, that her dad was an aspiring MC but was killed in a gang related shooting. She pursued her career in his honor.

Note: I just went to the iTunes store to sample her stuff and the only tracks they have are Zingy and this other song called #1 that didn't sound promising. I'm keeping the songs that I have though and will definitely be on the lookout for others that are similar.

________________________________________________

Akon is an R/B singer and rapper. Apparently Akon means A Konvict (convict) - homeboy was in jaillllllllllllll, don't know why, don't care.

The thing that I like most about Akon is his voice, mostly because it's just so unique in this cookiecutter artist industry. He's definitely a better singer than rapper. Some of his lyrics are so misogynistic it makes me angry. However, his catchy hooks, smooth voice, and sweet collabos kind of make me want to ignore that. I'm keeping his stuff (though I definitely do not need two copies of I Wanna Love (Fuck) You).

No comments: