Thursday, October 18, 2007

Afro-Cuban All Stars

Afro-Cuban All Stars are what I would have initially just described as a Cuban salsa band, however, have come to learn (thank you wiki) that their style is actually a mix of a bundle of Cuban musical stylings, including rumba and bolero.

They're tiiiight. Their sound is so together and bright, very horn heavy and a ton of percussion. Vocals are done by a bunch of people. It's a pretty big group (maybe 6-8), with some rotating members.

In general, they're a solid band, lively and upbeat, even when the tempo is slower. I only have about 10 of their songs, but listening to them has made me want to get more - they have two albums. I think my favorite out of the ones I've heard is Distinto Diferente, on the album of the same name.

No comments: