Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ashlee Simpson, Ass Ponies, The Ataris

I like Ashlee Simpson a lot (and I apologize for using a picture with Pete Wentz, I just think she looks awesome in it). At this point we all know she is the superior Simpson sister and now that her icky black hair has gone the way of her equally icky bleached hair and she has normalish (sometimes ratty) hair and a nicer nose, we can all bask in her glory and triumph over Jessica. I also think her style is pretty kickin. But enough about the aesthetics - important as it is. She can sing poppin pop songs and pop it out with the best of them. Autobiography (her debut) has some gems (hellooooo Pieces of Me, first single, chea). Shadow is obviously her tortured cry to come out from behind J's fame (congrats girl). But the real piece de resistance is La-La. Nuff said.

I have pieces of her second album (Autobiography) and it's fine whatevs. Maybe I'll weed through it. But Ash...I still love your style.
_____________________________________
Hahahaha, the Ass Ponies. Their name just makes me laugh. I'm not really sure where I got their one song that I own, maybe a soundtrack. The track, Little Bastard, is a ditty that mixes their indierock roots with pop. Shmeh, nothing else to say about this song (which I am keeping).
__________________________________________
The Ataris are another one of those poppunk pre-emo bands that I was into like 4 years ago and have since not really listened to. They are a bit different from a lot of the other ones, first of all merely due to their longevity. They've been around since the mid-90s, and their most recent release was this past February. They have, however, had a rotating list of members, which probably explains (partially) for their lack of a cohesive style or sound. I like bands that evolve and are diverse in their expression...however their is a lack of something that kind of irks me.

That being said, there are a couple of songs that I do like (Your Boyfriend Sucks, for one) so I will probably go through the 20 or so songs that I have and pick and choose.
__________________________________________

No comments: