Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Aretha Franklin, Arlo Guthrie, Arthur Fiedler

So, kind of lame, the only song I have by Aretha Franklin is Respect. If prompted, I probably couldn't name another one of her songs (I'm kind of hoping I actually DO know one or two though and am just unable to think of them at the moment). I know, she's amazing, I just never really got around to pursuing her art further than her biggest hit. I am now assigning myself homework to listen to more of her collection. More (perhaps) on this later.
_________________________________________
Arlo Guthrie is another artist which I have pretty limited exposure to. The one song I do have though, Alice's Restaurant Massacree is an 18:20 account of the narrator's (Guthrie?) littering, subsequent arrest for littering, and the craziness that follows. It all starts after a big ol Thanksgiving dinner at Alice's Restaurant. If you've never heard it, I would highly recommend. It's well worth the extended listening time. If you're not willing to download (fuck you!!) then be aware that they play it about a million times on Thanksgiving day on NPR stations and classic rock guys as well. Listen and be enlightened. I will learn more about Guthrie and report back (maybe).
___________________________________________
So I have a recording of Arthur Fiedler conducting the Boston Pops performing Copland's Rodeo and it's bomb. I mean, it's a sick orchestral piece, and what's more, it was made famous by those great "Beef: it's what's for dinner" ads. Nuff said, you will definitely recognize this song when you hear it.

No comments: