Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys

So I am a really huge fan of The Arcade Fire. I received some criticism on this (from some musical snobs unwilling to recognize the uniqueness of this band) but eff off is what I have to say to them. So yeah, Arcade Fire could be lumped in with rock/indie/hipster music, but if you take the time to listen to them, there's a little more depth waiting to be discovered. Their sound is just so rich and delish(wikipedia says lush, which I like but didn't want to take credit for) and this fullness is probably due to their untraditional band makeup.

Founded by a husband and wife team (thanks again, Wiki) the band includes such instruments as (depending on the song) various horns, violins, violas, and a couple woodwinds - along with bass/drums/guitar.

When I first heard their sound, I kind of liked it. Then I hear their song Wake Up and kind of liked it a lot. THEN I saw a video of Wake Up being performed with David Bowie and I fell in love. You will too.

Both of their albums are solid, but I think their debut (Funeral) is better than their sophomore effort (Neon Bible).
________________________________________________
So I really don't know too much about the Arctic Monkeys (besides, obviously, their one album that I have listened to, but not even really listened to that much until like, 30 minutes ago. You know, until just a few minutes ago I had kind of brushed them off as boring indierockpoo but...now maybe not so much. Some of their lyrics are a little silly at times, but some of them also encompass commentaries on cultural and social issues.

So I have their debut album, Whatever people say I am, That's What I'm Not and, you know, it's alright. Aside from their lyrics, I don't really think they're anything special. Their second album, Favourite Worst Nightmare, supposedly has a pretty different sound - faster, a bit edgier. I may have to sample the goods on the iTunes store...

No comments: